Have you ever thought of the need to seek the help of a divorce lawyer in Columbus Ohio? No one gets married with the idea of later getting a divorce. However, the sad fact is that over half of all marriages result in divorce, at least in the United States. In the state of Ohio, specifically within the state capitol of Columbus, if you are considering a divorce, here is some useful information to consider.
Ohio State Divorce Laws
There are requirements for the filing, and granting of a divorce in Columbus, just as there are in other states in the US. If you are an individual residing in Columbus and looking for a divorce attorney, you must meet the following conditions to have a divorce granted:
- Be a resident of the state of Ohio for at least 6 months.
- File in the county of Franklin, which is the country that Columbus falls in.
- Know that the Court of Common Pleas will hear the action, regardless of whether you were married or separated in the state or elsewhere.
Fault vs. No-Fault
A divorce attorney can fill you in on the two different classifications of divorce. There are basically two types of divorce that will be granted in the state of Ohio, and that is fault or no-fault. A fault divorce is granted on grounds such as
- Abandonment of at least one year by the other spouse
- Extreme Cruelty
- Falsification of any kind that trapped the other spouse into a marriage of fraud.
- The other spouse is imprisoned.
No fault refers to a situation where two individuals are granted a divorce from one another on the grounds of meeting one requirement; living apart from each other for at least one year.
The attorney will need to have the experience to meet all of your needs. There are some things to consider when looking for a divorce attorney in Columbus Ohio:
- A willingness to take your case
- A cooperative spirit
- Someone who listens to you
- Takes into consideration what is best for you.
- Returns phone calls in a reasonable length of time.
If your divorce involves property children and other assets, consider asking others who may be divorced for their opinion on who will work well for you. These types of divorces are more complicated and will need the guidance of someone who is not only in your court, so to speak, but will also have the experience to go after what you want and need.
Too many clients feel that their divorce attorneys want is to get their money and then avoid them. We care for our clients, and our main priority is to provide results. There is always someone to speak to you about your case and help you today. Take some time to write down all of your needs and your questions. Sometimes it is easy to forget what you wanted to say and this way you will be better prepared for your visit to a divorce attorney Columbus Ohio.