Hiring a family law attorney in Ohio can be a challenge. There are many different divorce lawyers throughout the area. If you are going through a divorce, it’s important to find an attorney that makes you feel comfortable. Sometimes the best way to find the right attorney is to sit down with someone face to face. Here are some questions to consider asking when you are interviewing divorce attorneys in Dublin, Ohio.
1. Experience. What experience do you have working on family law matters?
2. Philosophy. Do you believe it is better to mediate and negotiate than to go to trial? What issues are worth the cost of trial?
3. Fees. Can you explain your fee arrangement? What other costs do you expect will be involved (i.e., for private investigators, forensic accountants, physicians, and/or psychologists), and how will you charge me for them?
4. Strategy. Based on what you know about my case, what would you suggest as a strategy or plan? Will you ask my opinion before planning strategy?
5. Counseling. How can you help me understand the complex legal issues involved in divorce? How will you counsel me on other aspects of divorce?
6. Communication. If I need to reach you, what is the best time of day? How long does it take for you to return calls or documents related to my case? Can I reach you via email?
7. Information. Will I be kept informed of all developments in my case? Will I receive copies of documents filed with the court, all communication with my spouse’s attorney and any other documents related to my case?
8. Relationships. Are you familiar with local Domestic Court Judges and how they rule?
9. Child Custody. Do you have experience dealing with child custody issues? What is your opinion on joint custody versus sole custody?
10. Financial Knowledge. Do you understand the complex financial issues that arise in divorce cases? Can you help me with tax or bankruptcy issues that may arise?
The Dublin, Ohio family law attorneys at Edward F. Whipps & Associates have over 30 years of experience. We understand the importance of starting a relationship on the right foot and strive to make our clients comfortable from the beginning. We take the time to give you straight forward honest answers to all of your questions.